Family lawyers in Brisbane

Are You Entitled to Receive Financial Contributions?

It can be an exciting but overwhelming time being pregnant, especially if you’re going it alone. Last week on our blog we explored the rights an expecting mother may have in receiving financial contributions from the father. This week, see how the law would work in a real situation. You may find that you or someone you know is going through the same struggle and could benefit from this advice.

Family lawyers in Brisbane

Family lawyers in Brisbane

An example of how s67B works

  • Baby A is due on 1 March 2018. The mother, Jane, goes on maternity leave on 1 January 2018. Jane can seek maintenance from Baby A’s father, John, from 1 January 2018 (2 months before A is due to be born) through to 31 May 2018 (3 months after A is born). If Jane’s doctor tells her (and confirms in writing) that working is causing undue strain on Baby A and that Jane needs to finish work on 1 December 2017, Jane can claim support from 1 December 2017 if she stops work on that day, even though this is more than 2 months before Baby A is due.
  • The court has found that Jane can claim costs from John such as:-
    • Rental expenses
    • Food bills
    • Telephone and internet bills
    • Car and Petrol costs
  • But that Jane can’t claim for costs (under s67B) such as:-
    • Entertainment expenses like going to the movies;
    • Baby clothes and accessories like dummies or floor mats;
    • Baby furniture like a cot.
  • The court won’t take into account that Jane is getting a $5,000 baby bonus from Centrelink, but will consider that she lives at home and her parents own her car as a possible financial resource.
  • The court will also consider that Baby A’s father, John, has recently lost his job and that it will take him some time to find a new one. They’ll also consider the fact that John has a 2-year-old son who lives with him 9 days a fortnight for whom he does not receive any child support.

To find out more about child support options or parenting arrangements, click here.

Please be advised that each circumstance will differ. Please contact our family lawyers in Brisbane for a free 15-minute telephone consultation if you think section 67B may apply to you.

Single mum

Do You Have Rights to Financial Contributions as a Single Mum?

Expecting mother? Wanting financial contributions from the father? If you’re about to be a single mum, it’s important to know what rights you and your unborn child have in accessing financial contributions. Read on to find out how.   After the recent swearing in of Donald Trump to office, the anti-abortion/pro-life argument has again become […]

Easter season

Parenting Arrangements for Easter

Make this Easter an enjoyable one for the whole family with these simple parenting arrangements. 

Easter is an exciting time of year, particularly for the children. It’s a time for laughter, family and hopefully a visit from the Easter Bunny! As a parent, it’s natural to want to spend as much of this holiday season with your children. However, where you are separated from your former partner, getting to spend the entire holiday period with your children may not be an option. It’s important for your children that they can spend time with each of you.

You will want to plan ahead how the children will spend their time over this period.  Try to come to an arrangement that will involve the least disruption for your children as possible.

There are two common arrangements that you may like to consider. These are: a time-sharing arrangement or; an alternate year arrangement.

  1. A time-sharing arrangement each year

A time-sharing arrangement can come in a number of forms, depending on what suits both parties. One option might be for the children to spend from 9:00am on the Thursday until 9:00am on Easter Saturday with one parent and from 9:00am on Easter Saturday until Easter Monday 5:00pm with another. These times can then be reversed for each parent on alternate years.

  1. An alternate year arrangement

This would involve the Easter period being spent with one parent one year and alternating to the other parent the following year. One parent may choose to take all years ending in an odd number, whilst the other parent agrees to take years ending in even numbers.

It is wonderful if you can make arrangements directly with your former partner in an amicable way. If that is difficult in your situation however, we are able to help you with negotiating an agreement with your former partner.

For more ideas on parenting arrangements, see our related post. Or, if you need further advice or are struggling to reach an agreement with your former partner, contact our friendly team today.